On 3 July 2013 I was diagnosed with a cerebral aneurysm, which later turned out to be two. This blog is a journey into my brain as I deal to the aneurysms lurking there. Along the way I'm calling on the collective proverbial wisdom and sage advice of some recognised (and maybe a few not-so-recognised) writers for aphorisms which complement my journey.

This is not just a personal journey but also a journey of discovery for everyone who has, had, or knows someone with a cerebral aneurysm.


Thursday 14 January 2016

"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves." ~ William Shakespeare



Last year, in December, I had written about my past which now seems to determine my future. My daughter had said about me that I had "change[d] from this fiercely independent women (sic) into someone completely different overnight." I think that helped me on my real road to my new future.

After my brain aneurysm surgery in 2014 I also had a stroke. I didn't even find out about that for a week. Since then I have been through ongoing recovery: speech problems, living alone, depression, up-and-down, no job, no longer reading. Yet I have moved forward. I have recovered a lot of my speech - not all of it, but I accept where I am. I accept living alone because I have come to enjoy it - and need it. Sometimes I drop into a deep depression hole, but I will crawl out of that - maybe a few days or a week or even longer, but I know I can talk myself out of it. Up-and-down is the short step but I believe that happens to every living person. I still don't have a (paying) job but I have been a volunteer in the local Art Gallery for over a year.

After my BA story was published in the local Redcliffe newspaper I wrote my personal stories and they were printed on the National Stroke Foundation website, Synapse magazine "Bridges" and Brain Foundation magazine "Brainwaves".

The reading is still a problem for me. Before my brain aneurysm surgery I used to read every single day. I have tried it in the last year, but I can't recover to where I was with books. 

Most of my time now is spent online, where I find many articles or stories which are - compared to books - short. I read a lot online, post on the Facebook BASA (Brain Aneurysm Support Australia) page where I am still the administrator, have done hundreds of quote pictures which are on my website www.reibus.com.au, started another blog whosaidthisquote.blogspot.com.au and now do the Redcliffe Art Gallery monthly newsletter. 

I still haven't heard (yet) from QIRC, but I have some other - real - good steps into my future. My first book was published in November 2015 and I have a launch at the local library in March this year. On Australia Day this year I will attend the citizenship celebration and I will be an Australian citizen. That has led to my enrolment for study which I plan on using to help anyone with their brain aneurysm or stroke - Diploma of Counselling. And I know that, when I finally get the QIRC result, my second book Aneurysms with Aphorisms will get published.

My future is leaping ahead now!


No comments:

Post a Comment